Friday, May 8, 2015

Rock Project

04/21/15

Research

Today I picked out a rock I will be polishing and working with. I found out I have gotten Red Jasper. Long ago, the people had meanings to these stones. It meant protection for both the physical and spiritual real. Known as the "rain bringers" and nurtures, healers of the spirits and stones of courage and wisdom. It also gives the person self-confidence.
Jasper is made out of silicon dioxide (SiO2), iron oxide, manganese oxide, metal oxide, and sometimes has organic matters.

04/23- 05/07/15

Shaping the rock

I had been grinding, shaping, and polishing my rock. Even when it turned out right, something happened to the rock. It falls and gets a deep scratch on the polished side. I learned that shaping and polishing the rock is really a slow task. Not everything will turn out the way you want it to turn out.  After weeks of shaping and polishing my rock, it took a while.

The look













Before                                                                                                                   After

What I learned during this processes is that if you truly work hard, and if you are not quiet in working, meaning you dive in for the grinder for your rock, then you will get what you want in the end. Grinding and polishing a rock is not easy, and is not fun if you have to restart four times and go back to the next stage. Every time I will go into a jewelry store, I will always have respect for the person who cut, grind, and polished that rock. I would do it again, to make another rock now I have a little experience. But not when its based on my grade. I would need a month to finish a rock. But even  though it was a hard processes I still like the result I got from my Red Jasper. I can say I made it and not bought it at the store. I do suggest to do this if someone wants to have a new stone on their neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment